Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tales of my passing have been greatly exagerated.

Or something to that effect, loosely quoting Mark Twain. Job changes and new years resolutions have kept me away from blogging for four months now. Hopefully this is my return to somewhat regular posting. Back in september I had many plans for posts that never happened. A new job at the end of september took away some of my energy for a bit. The early onset of a unusually severe winter here in western NY put several blacksmithing projects on hold. New years resolutions this year included spending more quiet time with my wife and stepdaughters whenever possible. I've also vowed to read more. The coldest january in years has helped with both of those endevors. I also vowed early to get back to my hunting/fishing/conservationist roots. This vow was made well before new years and has had mixed success. Both my lovely daughters spent a week at camp Rushford this past summer. While there they both competed the hunters safety course required here in NY. Mid october found me at a gun show with my old Krag sporter slung over my shoulder. I managed to make a nearly even trade for a pair of brand new scoped Marlin model 60's. This was my reward to the girls for thier effort. And it required some serious effort on thier part. At the last minute NY changed the hunters safety course to include hours of pre course homework. Of course we were notified about ten days before they were due to leave for camp. This was also at the very time they were cramming for school final exams. We did manage to get in a day of squirrel hunting as soon as deer season closed. Due to the bitter cold we didn't see many and didn't get a shot at all. We still have a month of squirrel and rabbit season to go, should we get enough warm weather to open the trails back up, we'll head out again. We have however managed to get a bunch of range time in. Both girls are becoming deadly shots. My 14yr old Rebecca has also informed me that we are going turkey hunting this spring. And the recent purchase of a project shotgun will probably help that happen. Yesterday I dug up my old call, chalked it up and showed myself just how easy sounding like a turkey isn't. Hopefully by spring the shotgun and the calling will be in good enough shape. I would hate to disapoint the young woman that has turned into my best outdoor sidekick ever. So, now a resolution to my readers. I will try to post more often. Future posts will possibly include: "Making a $65.00 shotgun shoot!" "A modern version of the classic great bellows" "Prepardness on $5.00-$10.00 per payday" "The Woodsrunner plan to save the American economy" "Building an muzzleloading rifle from an intermediate to advanced skill level kit" "Foraging and woodscrafting 101" "Foraging in the urban wilderness" "A kit built traditional english longbow, and learning to shoot it" "Home brewed wine (or vinegar, lol) on a budget" "Making knives from old saw blades, files and chisels" "Equiping the homestead shop on a budget" See you all soon and watch your topknot Woods

No comments: