Thursday, July 19, 2012

Procrastinate because good things come to those that wait!

Last week we had a garage sale. Myself mostly getting rid of tools that I have duplicates of. It was hot and sunny. My pale Scottish/Dutch skin doesn't care much for sun, so I stretched a tarp accross the driveway using my antique truck as a support on one side. It was a slow day because of the heat and I was napping when a scrap scroungers truck drove by. Next thing you know I'm hobbling down the street on my cane yelling and waving my free arm. The nieghbors thought the heat scrambled my brains I'm sure.

This set of 1950's kitchen table legs were the source of my excitment. Though at the time they were more brown from the 50+ years of grime on them. You see I spied them hanging off the back of the scroungers truck. My darling Pelenaka has a vintage table with similar legs. One of her legs was broken and she and the sidekick had cobbled it together barely. The table stood in the middle of the room, but, we had stopped using it for the most part, out of fear it would collapse at any time. We had actually gotten in an argument of sorts over this table. Her wanting it fixed and me refusing to "fix" it incorrectly. So, she and the sidekick taped a stick underneath so it would at least stand on it's own.


This "repair" was a real annoyance to yours truly. Now you understand my excitment at the passing junk scroungers truck. One of the kids fell against the table a couple years ago during horseplay and the leg split right in half. The first plan was to use the new legs as aquired after cleaning of course. They were from a slightly smaller table and would have been less likely to cause a trip when walking past. Plans changed when I figured the only way to attach the new legs was to screw them direct to the bottom of the table top. The top being masonite and only 5/8" thick made me change gears. I was afraid a screw sturdy enough to hold in the masonite would show through the top. Or at the least damage it.

I took the rings off the table and spent about 15 minutes on each. First removing rust spots and loose plating with a brass wheel. Followed by a light polish on a stiff cotton wheel using a medium rouge. Rouge was followed by a coat of paste Turtle Wax to help slow further rusting. A tip for those of you with limited shop space. Bolt you grinders, saws and such to a piece of plywood. Then attach a cleat to the bottom of the plywood. Then they can be stored on a shelf out of the way and clamped into your portable workbench when you need them.

I was very lucky. The new legs with the exception of the rings were exactly the same. We can now have dinner in the kitchen again. It only took almost two years of procrastinating. I actually think the table now is in the best shape it's been in since we've owned it. All four of the old legs had seen much better days. The table now doesn't wobble at all. I also spent quite a bit of time getting the new legs exactly level. You can now set a round object on the table and it just sits there.

Well, I've gotten one thing off my honeydo list.

She would say FINALLY!!

I will say CORRECTLY!!

Woods, who is teaching her good things come to those that wait.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Perfect! I'm glad you found 'new' table legs!